Las Vegas– UFC kicks off its third run on UFC FIGHT ISLAND with two critical main occasion clashes ensured to provide action. 2 of the finest featherweights on the planet face off, as former champion and No. 1 ranked contender Max Holloway looks to make another shot at the title by taking out No. 6 Calvin Kattar.
UFC FIGHT NIGHT on ESPN : HOLLOWAY vs. KATTAR will take place Saturday, January 16 on Abu Dhabi’s Yas Island. For the first time ever, the main card will be telecasted live on ABC and simulcast on ESPN and ESPN Deportes (Spanish), starting at 3 p.m. ET/12 p.m. PT.
Holloway (21 -6, fighting out of Waianae, Hawaii) intends to start the New Year by delivering another vintage efficiency and returning to the winner’s circle. He now aims to cement himself as the clear No. 1 contender by becoming the first individual to stop Kattar in the UFC.
Fan preferred Kattar (22 -4, combating out of Methuen, Mass.) looks to step up and impress in the biggest battle of his profession and inject himself into the title discussion. An exciting and dangerous striker, Kattar increased through the featherweight ranks with memorable knockouts over Shane Burgos, Ricardo Lamas and Jeremy Stephens. He now seeks to remain unbeaten on UFC BATTLE ISLAND and prove that he is one of the best worldwide versus his very first former champion.
Extra bouts on the card include:
- Welterweight veterans finally satisfy as previous interim champ Carlos Condit (31-13, fighting out of Albuquerque, N.M.) takes on with Matt Brown (24-17, combating out of Denver, Colo.)
- Welterweight standout Santiago Ponzinibbio (28 -3, battling out of Coconut Creek, Fla.) returns to action for the first time in over 2 years when he handles the long lasting Li Jingliang (17 -6, combating out of Beijing, China)
- 2020 breakout star Joaquin Buckley (12 -3, combating out of St. Louis, Mo.) means to keep his momentum going when he battles Alessio Di Chirico (12 -5, combating out of Rome, Italy) at middleweight
- Undefeated Dana White’s Competitor Series veterans lock horns as Punahele Soriano (6-0, fighting out of Las Vegas, Nev.) deals with Dusko Todorovic (10 -0, combating out of Belgrade, Serbia) in a middleweight contest
- Rising ladies’s bantamweight prospect Wu Yanan (10 -3, battling out of Xi’an, China) seeks to provide her most remarkable performance yet against newcomer Joselyne Edwards (9-2, battling out of Panama City, Panama)
- Dana White’s Contender Series standout Phil Hawes (9-2, combating out of Albuquerque, N.M.) seeks to hand Nassourdine Imavov (9-2, battling out of Paris, France) his very first UFC loss
- No. 13 ranked middleweight Omari Akhmedov (20 -5 -1, battling out of Makhachkala, Russia) prepares to safeguard his place in the rankings when he battles Tom Breese (12 -2, fighting out of Birmingham, England)
- Heavyweights Carlos Felipe (9-1, battling out of Feira de Santana, Bahia, Brazil) and Justin Tafa (4-1, battling out of Brisbane, Australia) intend to take the show
- Featherweight grapplers go to war as Nik Lentz (30-11 -2, 1 NC, fighting out of Coconut Creek, Fla.) and Mike Grundy (12 -2, fighting out of Wigan, Greater Manchester, England) look to recuperate into the win column
- Jacob Kilburn (8-3, fighting out of Woodlawn, Tenn.) and Austin Terminology (7-1, combating out of Mesquite, Texas) battle to secure their very first UFC wins in a featherweight bout
- Women’s bantamweight veteran Sarah Moras (6-7, fighting out of Kelowna, British Columbia, Canada) intends to stop Vanessa Melo (10 -8, fighting out of Sao Paulo, Brazil) from attaining her first UFC success
- David Zawada (17 -5, battling out of Düsseldorf, Germany) and Ramazan Emeev (19 -4, combating out of Makhachkala, Russia) clash in an amazing welterweight bout
UFC FIGHT NIGHT on ESPN : CHIESA vs. MAGNY will take place Wednesday, January 20 on Abu Dhabi’s Yas Island. All bouts will air survive on ESPN, ESPN Desportes and ESPN in the U.S. with the main card starting at 12 p.m. ET/9 a.m. PT and the prelims beginning at 9 a.m. ET/6 a.m. PT.
Chiesa (17 -4, battling out of Spokane Valley, Wash.) has his sights set on continuing his climb up the welterweight ranks by taking out one of the division’s toughest competitors.
A member of the UFC lineup since 2013, Magny (24 -8, battling out of Denver, Colo.) has dealt with the who’s who of the welterweight department. He now seeks to begin the New Year with a significant win and work his way towards his very first UFC title shot.
Additional bouts on the card include:
- The Ultimate Fighter: Brazil 3 winner Warlley Alves (13 -4, fighting out of Rio de Janeiro, Brazil) compares with Mounir Lazzez (10 -1, fighting out of Dubai, United Arab Emirates)
- Featherweight standout Lerone Murphy (9-0-1, combating out of Manchester, England) prepares to stay unbeaten when he takes on durable veteran Douglas Silva (26 -3, 1 NC, fighting out of Castanhal, Para, Brazil)
- Ike Villanueva (16-11, battling out of Katy, Texas) faces Dana White’s Competitor Series: Brazil veteran Vinicius Moreira (9-4, battling out of Brasilia, Brazil) at light heavyweight
- In a middleweight bout guaranteed to deliver action, Dalcha Lungiambula (10 -2, battling out of Cape Town, Western Cape, South Africa) handles submission artist Markus Perez (12 -4, combating out of Sao Paulo, Brazil)
- No. 8 ranked women’s flyweight contender Roxanne Modafferi (25-18, combating out of Las Vegas, Nev.) fulfills No. 9 Viviane Araujo (9-2, fighting out of Brasilia, Brazil) in a battle to burglarize the leading 5
- In a contest of flyweight potential customers, Su Mudaerji (13 -4, battling out of Chengdu, Sichuan, China) intends to stop Zarrukh Adashev (3-2, battling out of New York, N.Y. by method of Samarkand, Uzbekistan) from earning his very first UFC win
- Francisco Figueiredo (11 -3 -1, battling out of Belem, Para, Brazil), brother of UFC flyweight champion Deiveson Figueiredo, means to make a declaration in his launching versus Dana White’s Competitor Series seasoned Jerome Rivera (10 -3, combating out of Santa Fe, N.M.) at flyweight
- Lightweight Mike Davis (8-2, battling out of Fort Lauderdale, Fla.) wants to ruin the highly prepared for debut of Mason Jones (10 -0, combating out of Blaenavon, Wales)
- In an exciting match of top 15 flyweights, No. 9 ranked Matt Schnell (14 -5, fighting out of Shreveport, La.) fulfills No. 13 Tyson Nam (20-11 -1, fighting out of Wahiawa, Hawaii)
- Dana White’s Competitor Series signee Victoria Leonardo (8-2, fighting out of Shreveport, La.) and Manon Fiorot (5-1, battling out of Nice, France) fight at flyweight